Do you have dreadlocks?
Are you thinking about trimming them but aren’t sure if you should or even can do it yourself?
This article will provide you with typical reasons for trimming and how to properly trim your dreadlocks to keep them healthy and looking great.
Related: How Long Do Dreadlocks Last?
Reasons to Trim Your Dreadlocks
Trimming your dreadlocks can be essential to maintaining their health and appearance.
Here are several reasons why you may want to trim your dreadlocks:
- Removing Split Ends - Trimming your deadlocks can help remove split ends, which can occur when the hair becomes dry or damaged. Removing split ends can help keep your dreadlocks healthy and prevent them from fraying or becoming uneven.
- Maintaining an Even Length - You can trim your dreadlocks to achieve a consistent, even length which can create a neater, more polished look.
- Removing Stray Hairs - As your locs grow, you may notice random, stray hairs sticking out or extending beyond the rest of the dreadlock. Trimming the loose hair can give your dreadlocks a well-defined look.
- Repairing Damaged dreadlocks - If the ends of your dreadlocks have become damaged, you can trim the damaged hair and let the dreadlocks grow back to their original shape.
- Keeping Them Neat - Regularly trimming your locs can keep them neat and well-maintained. This look can be necessary if you work in a professional setting.
It’s important to remember that how frequently you need to trim your dreadlocks will depend on various factors. These factors include the length of your dreadlocks, how fast your hair grows, and your hair type.
Trimming your dreadlocks every few months is a good idea, but you may need to do so less frequently, depending on your specific needs.
Click here to learn more about the Lion Locs story!
Steps for Trimming Your Dreadlocks Properly
Properly trimming your dreadlocks can help keep them healthy and looking tight. Here are some steps to follow when you’re trimming your dreadlocks.
- Wash and Dry Your Hair Thoroughly - After you’ve washed your dreadlocks, ensure they are completely dry before trimming them. Wet hair can stretch and give you a false impression of the length.
- Use a Mirror - A mirror will help you get a good look at your dreadlocks when you’re cutting them. You can also use a hand mirror or a phone in selfie mode and stand with your back to the mirror to see the dreadlocks on the back of your head to trim them evenly.
- Use Sharp Hair-Cutting Scissors - Using regular scissors to cut hair can result in fraying or split ends. Make sure you’re using a pair of scissors that are made specifically for haircutting.
- Trim One Dreadlock at a Time - To help ensure an even and consistent trim, focus on trimming one dreadlock at a time.
- Only Trim the Ends - Focus on cutting only the ends of your dreadlocks to create an even, neat look. Hold each dread between your fingers and trim only the stray hairs or damaged ends.
- Don’t Cut Too Much - Be extremely careful not to cut too much off your dreadlocks. You’ve spent a good amount of time growing them, and cutting off too much can damage them, making it challenging to repair them.
Suppose you’re unsure about how to trim your locs appropriately or want a more professional result. In that case, you may consider visiting a loctician for a trim.
Related: Loc Stages By Month - A Complete Timeline
Frequently Asked Questions
Is trimming your locs good?
Properly trimming your locs can be an excellent way to keep them healthy and good-looking. You can also trim your locs if you’ve built-up loc gels or other agents over time.
How often should I trim my dreadlocks?
How frequently you should trim your dreadlocks depends on several factors, including your hair type, the length of your dreadlocks, and your style and preferences.
For most people, trimming your dreadlocks every couple of months works well.
Can I trim my dreadlocks myself?
You can trim your dreadlocks, but consistently achieving an even trim can take time and effort.
Taking the time and properly doing it is essential when your dreadlocks are mature enough to handle being trimmed without unraveling.
When in doubt, it’s a good idea to see a loctician and have them determine if trimming your locs is suitable and even have them trim them for you.
How much hair should I trim off?
It’s critical to be careful and not cut too much off the dreadlock when you’re trimming it. You should always err on the side of caution and trim a little at a time rather than cutting too much off at once.
Trimming your dreadlocks too much can permanently damage them and be difficult to repair.
Click here to get in touch with Lion Locs today!
Take Your Time To Trim Your Dreadlocks Properly
Growing and maintaining dreadlocks can take a lot of time and patience. It’s important to take time and trim your dreadlocks properly so you don’t damage them.
Several reasons for wanting to trim your dreadlocks include removing split and frayed ends and giving them a tidy appearance.
If you have any questions or doubts about trimming your dreadlocks, it’s a good idea to consult a loctician. A loctician has the experience and expertise to evaluate your locs and determine if they need to be trimmed or can be treated with loc oils or shampoos.
They can also trim your locs for you, which can take a lot of stress out of trimming your dreadlocks yourself and give them a more professional look.
Trimming your dreadlocks yourself or having them done by a loctician can ensure that they continue to grow, stay healthy, and look great!
Related: How To Clean Gunk Out Of Dreadlocks?